Why Rabbit Vibrators Are Iconic
Rabbit vibrators. Famous, infamous, and definitely a staple. We've seen them all over media and found them in our friend's drawers. Back in the 90's, they basically broke the internet. But why?
Most people with vulvas do not orgasm from penetration alone. About 18% of people with vulvas have orgasms from penetration, while 72% said they either need or prefer clitoral stimulation. We know this. But the clitoris is a figurative iceberg: what you see is not what you get.
Because the internal structure of the clitoris extends to support the vaginal canal, it can get stimulation from multiple zones. In this case, the C-spot and G-Spot.
The general consensus these days is that the g-spot is actually the clitoral body getting stimulation through the vaginal walls. See the diagram below for a visual representation. If you are new to the anatomyof the clitoris (Spoiler: It's bigger than we thought), check out this article.
The rabbit got its name from its ears. Typically, one ear is used inside the vaginal canal and the other ear is used externally on the clitoral node. In this way, you can achieve clitoral stimulation at two points - the clitoral node and the g-spot. See diagram below for reference. Please note: the g-spot is a point of debate in the sex world. The general consensus these days is that the g-spot is actually the clitoral body getting stimulation through the vaginal walls. See diagram below for a visual representation of the dual stimulation (Internal and external).
How do I pick one out?
Ultimately, the only way to know is to try. But a few things to consider when picking out your new rabbit.
- Do you enjoy penetration?
- Do you enjoy stimulation on your clitoral node?
- The distance between the ears (Aka – optimal spacing for your clitoral node and g spot)? Some toys are very adjustable in this regard.
Hot tips on using your first rabbit
- Take your time. Life is busy, and often we go straight to penetration in both partnered and solo environments. I strongly suggest working to feel arousal before using the toy for penetration. It can feel overwhelming getting so much stimulation without arousal.
- Use it externally first. Flip it over and grind on the longer part of the toy. If the toy is malleable, explore different external
- Start without the vibrator turned on. Start by feeling the sensation of having the toy on or inside of you.
- Start with the lowest vibration setting. Take a minute or two to explore how this feels, and then go from there.
- If you find it intense on the lowest vibration setting, try the patterns. Some people love 'em, others hate 'em, but there is only one way to find out.